Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Hello Readrunner!

It's been 10 months since I last logged on to this blogsite as I got busy with my other blogsite (www.sentimentsmd.blogspot.com) on migrating to the US. But visiting it tonight, memories came rushing back. And I am filled with excitement and joy again as I pour words to this blank page. I may have missed 10 months of posting on this blog, but I have not missed on my running.

Having migrated to the US last June, I had to adjust to a lot of changes. It was only after three months that finally, we got our routine and have incorporated running in our schedule. The first agenda was to get rid of my Nike shoes which caused more harm than good. I had to accept the fact that I bought the wrong kind of shoes, much to my husband's chagrin (remember, it was his Christmas gift for me in 2008). It was too narrow which caused the "numbness" on my third toe whenever I ran and the size was too long, causing the back of the shoes to rub against the back of my ankle which led to blisters. I guess I have been in denial for a long time and thought that this shoes only needs breaking in. Well, no amount of breaking in will make this shoes comfortable. I might as well break my feet.

This time, I did not want to waste money on the wrong pair of running shoes so we visited the specialty store Bob Roncker and had my foot "diagnosed". I was a slight pronator, much to my surprise. The guy recommended three different brands and had me walk/run on them. The best fit was a Mizuno Wave Inspire - US9-wide. It felt like I was running barefoot with it. That's how comfortable it was. The best part of the deal was that I could break in the shoes and if I find problems with it, I can bring it back to the store within 30 days to be replaced with a different kind of running shoes.

The next agenda was finding the running spot. We found the perfect running trail, between a private airport and a golf course. It was a 5-mile trail (8-km). The perfect timing was after bringing the two kids to school. As warm-up, my husband and I pray the rosary first while we do briskwalking. After 5 decades and less than a mile covered, we go for a relaxed pace.

It was our quality time together as husband and wife. In the US, it is a luxury to go on a date. Restaurants are expensive. Timing is tricky, with no maids to look after the kids. This is just the perfect, cheap date for me and my husband. Not only will running nurture our spirit, it will also nourish our relationship.

But that was during the season of Fall. It's now Winter time and the ground is covered with snow. I have to motivate myself to run on the treadmill in order to keep on running. It's funny that I was just thinking of making a running program for myself when I read this blogsite and caught sight of the program I made supposedly for January 2009. I never got to adhere to that program because we were taken by surprise by the appointment from the US embassy in January of 2009. Little did we expect that this year would bring a lot of changes in our lives. I got so caught up with the hectic schedule that running was dumped into the backseat.

I was just so thankful that when I got into it again last October, I discovered that it's just like biking. Once you know how to run, it's not too difficult to pick up where you started. I had some awkward start but it did not take long for me to get accustomed to running 8km for my relaxed pace. The year 2009 is ending. I received so much blessings. Having published my first book on running, it's about time to move on, move up and aim for the next goal. Because there is nothing static about running. It is a dynamic endeavor. It only gets better and better. And I look forward to a more fruitful run and a more fruitful year ahead as I welcome 2010 with enthusiasm and delight. Happy running everyone!

No comments: