Wednesday, October 1, 2008

There Are Different Types of Running Shoes?!


I was just talking to another friend of mine who confessed that she really wanted to run, however, she always ends up with a hurting knee after a run that is why she switched to swimming instead.

I told her that it might be because of her shoes which she immediately refutes, declaring that she has a good pair of running shoes. I then explained that some people need to have a special kind of running shoe if they tend to overpronate or oversupinate. This brought a furrow to her forehead. I then realized that not all people who run actually know this. So here goes the different major categories of running shoes to choose from depending on what kind of a runner are you:

The Motion Control is said to be the most aggressive at preventing overpronation. The Stability helps to limit overpronation but not as much as the Motion Control. The Neutral is for the runners who also run neutrally. Lucky people! The Supinators are for the minority who oversupinate. You will not see the difference at first glance but the difference lies within. Those tiny details are built into the shoe which may be invisible to the eye but "visible" to the feet.

Yesterday, when my husband and I went into two Adidas stores to register for the Adidas King of the Road race, I asked whether they can analyze if I am a pronator or supinator. They pointed me to the Trinoma branch which they claim, does that analysis. Though I feel I am a neutral runner, I want to double check just the same because I am currently using NikeFree 5.0iD which has a really great cushion but I think is a Neutral shoes. I run as though I am running barefoot.

Though a good pair can cost quite a bit, the life expectancy of most mid-sole running shoes is somewhere between 480-960 kms. So it is also wise to log your distance to give you an idea when to change your shoes. Some people look at the bottom of the running shoes to see the extent of wear to the outer sole which is actually a common mistake. What is recommended in the book is to check the mid-sole, the spongy layer between the outer sole and your feet because this is the one that hardens and eventually reduces shock absorbency. So try to compress this with your thumb and if this is no longer compressible, you should replace your shoe. A new shoe is less expensive than physiotherapy. Other tips for care of your running shoe is not to put it in washing machine nor to use hot water to clean it.

Now you see, investing in the right pair of running shoes is just as important as having a good running program because this can actually make or break your knees... I mean your running performance. And I thought all along it was just a matter of choosing the right color that goes with my outfit or getting the one that is most comfortable on the foot. This only goes to show that indeed little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

No comments: